Saturday, March 21, 2015

Building The Elecraft KXPA100 & My First 100W Contact

Four weeks ago I decided to pull the trigger and get the KXPA100 amp from Elecraft to complement my KX3.  I've spent the past 6 months working virtually QRP with my KX3 as a base station and it's been both satisfying and frustrating at the same time.  Trying to contact Europe on 10 watts is a great thrill but trying to break a pile up seems impossible.

The KXPA100 build was easy, as it took me around 30 mins to complete.  Elecraft's instruction manuals are very good and give clear pictures with descriptions.  The only issue I had was the missing parts, which I blogged about earlier.  They should really look at their QC department to ensure all the correct parts are shipped with their products.

After hooking it up, which was a breeze, and setting some menu items within the KX3, I was on the air.  I just happened to be on 20m and tuned up the band to find EE8Z calling CQ from the Canary Islands off the coast of Africa.  Tuning the antenna and checking my wattage, the first try back to him on his CQ was 59 to me.  The Canary Islands was in the log.  It's amazing what a little power can bring you!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment